When you have been injured and are pursuing a personal injury case to recover damages, you will need to present a lot of evidence to win your case. Indeed, you must prove that the other party owed you a duty of care, breached the duty of care owed to you, and that the breach was the direct cause of your accident and injuries. You also need to establish the extent of your injuries to recover your full compensation amount.
While there are myriad sources of evidence to which one can turn to build their case, the statements of expert witnesses are one of the most effective.
What Types of Expert Witnesses Are Used in Personal Injury Claims?
There are multiple types of different expert witnesses that may be called upon to shed light on your accident, liability, or your injuries. Some of the most common types of expert witnesses that are used in personal injury claims include:
- Medical experts. Medical experts can provide expert opinions regarding the severity of injuries, the cause of injury, and what the expected outcome of the injury will be. If you are pursuing a medical malpractice case, a medical expert is a must, as the medical expert will need to provide an opinion regarding how the medical professional in question deviated from the standard of care owed to you.
- Psychologists and mental health experts. A psychologist or other mental health expert may be important for your personal injury claim if you have suffered psychological, mental, or emotional harm. These professionals can testify regarding the effect that the injury has had on you, and how this may impact your life in the future. These experts are especially important when seeking compensation for noneconomic losses.
- Financial experts. When a person suffers a severe injury, they may incur multiple different financial losses, and sometimes these losses can total thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars. A financial expert may be necessary to make sense of the numbers, and provide an expert opinion on the amount of loss and predicted loss (i.e. value of lost wages, loss of earning capacity, etc.) over the plaintiff’s life.
- Accident reconstruction experts. Sometimes, the most complicated part of a personal injury case is not proving damages, but proving how an accident happened and therefore holding the defendant liable for harm. When this is the case, an accident reconstruction expert, who will investigate your accident in full and rebuild it piece-by-piece to determine the precise cause of the incident, can be vital. An accident reconstruction expert witness can also guide the court through what happened, helping to paint a picture of what went wrong.
- Design or manufacturing experts. In the event that you are bringing forth a defective product case for damages or claiming that a design or manufacturing defect was to blame for your accident and injuries, working with design or/and manufacturing experts will be important. These experts will offer insight as to whether or not the design/manufacturer of a product was to blame.
Expert Witnesses Can Make or Break Your Case
When you have been injured and are seeking damages to compensate you for your losses, expert witnesses can make or break your case. In fact, without expert witnesses, you may have a difficult time proving:
- The liability of the defendant;
- The extent of disability you have suffered;
- The value of your economic losses;
- The value of your noneconomic losses;
- How an accident occurred; and
- The defective nature of a product that caused you harm.
Many plaintiffs who choose to represent themselves in a personal injury claim fail to hire expert witnesses to testify on their behalf, either neglecting to acknowledge the importance of expert witnesses, or choosing not to hire experts due to the costs.
Why You Need the Lawyers of The APEX Law Firm, LLC On Your Side
At the law offices of The APEX Law Firm, LLC, we realize how critical expert witnesses are to a successful injury case, and can assure you that we have a long-term relationship with many expert witnesses in the Hartford area, and have the resources it requires to hire expert witnesses to help us win your case. What’s more, we handle all upfront costs on your behalf, and work on a contingency fee basis, so you don’t have to worry about paying for fees and services out of pocket. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, please visit us today at uptonlegal.com, send us a message, or call us at (860) 900-0900.